Would you like to communicate effectively numbers?
The use of charts and graphs to communicate quantitative information is common practice and always requested in the business world, in any managerial function (balances, forecasts, economical plans, investments, cost structure, selling, etc.) Unfortunately very few know the techniques to manage effective presentations. With this course, you will learn how and what graphic tools to use (charts, histograms, cakes, etc) based on the message you want to communicate to your audience.
Managers working with budget and figures, Project Managers, Sales Managers, Controllers, CFOs and anyone who has the need to be effective in presenting quantitative information (eg. numbers).
This training is also available as Tailored Training 1:1
Although the course is not dependent on any specific software, to get the maximum benefit a knowledge of how to build tables and graphs with your tool of preference (eg Excel, Numbers, etc.) is strongly suggested.
- Number value
- Mistakes to be avoided in representing numerical graphs
- Numbers that show money
Numbers and knowledge
Categories or dimensions
Relationship between quantities
Numbers that summarize
- Standard deviation
Correlation showing numbers
Measures of money
Fundamental concepts of tables and graphs
- Quantity (measurements) and categories
- When to use Tables
- When to use Graphs
The correct use of tables
Show reports through tables
- Quantitative-to-categorical relation
- Quantitative-to-quantitative relation
Variation in the table structure
The correct use of graphs
Encoding data in Graphs
- 2-D Shapes
Visual attributes used to encode categorical data
- Point shape
- Fill Pattern
- Line style
Graph design solution
- Nominal comparison designs
- Time series designs
- Ranking designs
- Part-to-Whole designs
- Deviation designs
- Distribution designs
- Correlation designs
Visual perception and quantitative communication
Mechanic of sight
- The eye
- The brain
- Types of memories: short and long-lasting
The attribute of the Pre-attentive process: shapes, colours, spatial disposition, motion Application of visual attributes to design Learn and use the perceptive principals of the Gestalt
General design for communications
- Highlight the data
- Organize the data
- Integrate Tables, Graphs and Text
Structural components of the tables
- Data component
- Support components
- Visual attributes of components
- Tables terminology
Best practices in drawing a table
- Delineating columns and rows
- Arranging data
- Formatting text
- Summarizing values
- Giving page information
Maintaining visual correspondence to quantity
- Correspondence to the tick marks
- Zero-based scales
The use of 3-D
- 3D depth objects
- 3D depth graphs
Component level graph design
Data component design
- Scale lines
Support component design
- Axes and the data region
The design solution for multiple variables
Combining multiple units of measure Combining multiple graphs in a series
- Rules and grid lines
- Duration: 2 days (9:30-17:30)
- Maximum 6 students per class
- Price information: 1.200 CHF + VAT (1.000 CHF + VAT each for more than one subscriber from the same company)
- Location: Via Pelli 13, 6900, Lugano
Tailored Training 1: 1
The Tailored Training 1: 1 represents an alternative to traditional inter-company classroom training. The Tailored Training 1: 1 is available for those courses that do not require group interaction.
The Tailored Training 1: 1 consists of:
- A reduced but intensive duration compared to the corresponding classroom training: 1 day of coaching 1: 1 (9.30-17.30) instead of the 2-day course.
- A videoconference follow-up /2h) after 2-3 weeks.
- Same cost as the classroom training (*).
- Delivery of the coaching at the customer’s office.
- Greater flexibility on course planning.
- Personalized training, according to the needs of the participant while respecting the structure and
- contents of the proposed program.
* An additional transfer fee is considered for the lecturer if the client’s office is located outside the Lugano area.
Booking your training is easy
- Send us your request by filling the following form
- You will receive all the information needed to complete the application procedure