This course will enable participants to understand and use the concepts and approaches to the development and measurement of motivation in work settings. We will critically evaluate the major motivation and interventions designed to affect motivation at work.
In doing so we will use an evidence-based, critical approach. We will critically explore current models, methods and technologies for managing motivation inside the HRM process.
Every topic covered in the course will have an introductory theoretical immediately followed by a practical/concrete part where the participant will be asked to operationalise what learned into practice.
Understand and evaluate theories of motivation at work in your own organization
Understand motivation in the context of the employment relationship
Recognise the impact of changes in the employment relationship (such as pay, job design, employee involvement and opportunities) on motivation
Understand and evaluate issues related to diversity in the workplace.
HR managers and specialists, L&D managers and specialists.
Instruments, concepts and measures of motivation and performance
- Motivation: definition and characteristic
- What to measure
- Level of motivation
- Causes of motivation
- Type of motivation
- Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic Motivation (Deci and Ryan)
- Motivation vs. Demotivation (Herzberg)
- Similar constructs
- Job Satisfaction
- Instruments to measure motivation
- Intrinsic motivation
- Extrinsic motivation
- Work effort
- Intrinsic job motivation
- Task performance
- Worker motivation
- Turnover intentions
- Performances: definition
- Problem with measurement
- The competency model
- Is performance as a measurable personality trait?
- Performance and goal setting
- Causes of performance
- Behavioural modification
- Individual differences
- Knowledge and Skills
- Job design
Strategies for motivation based on content
- Motivation strategies based on personal needs
- Motivation strategies based on personal values: the importance of values in understanding organizational behaviour
- Motivation strategies based on personal strengths: the positive psychology approach
Strategies for motivation based on process
- Equity Theory: how to tackle employee responding to perceived unfairness and inequity in the workplace.
- Expectancy Theory: how humans make choices among alternative courses of action.
- Motivate through setting proper objectives (Goal setting and control theory)
- How to define effective goals
- Traps that lead to counterproductive behaviour
- Enhancing the benefits and overcoming the pitfalls of goal setting
Recent motivation approach
- The self-determination theory
- Internal vs. external value orientations and outcome
Job design and motivation
- Job enrichment
- Job rotation
- Job enlargement
- Task Significance
Pay and motivation
- Pay and Performance: Individuals, Groups, and Executives
- The role of performance-related pay in renegotiating
The Psychological contract and motivation
- A critical review of the psychological contract
- Psychological contracts in the workplace and motivation
- Violating the psychological contract
- Duration: 3 days (9:30-17:30)
- Maximum 6 students per class
- Price information: 1.800 CHF + VAT (1.600 CHF + VAT each for more than one subscriber from the same company)
- Location: Via Pelli 13, 6900, Lugano
Tailored Training 1: 1
Tailored Training 1: 1 represents an alternative to traditional inter-company classroom training. The Tailored Training 1: 1 is available for those courses that do not require group interaction.
The Tailored Training 1: 1 consists of:
- A reduced but intensive duration compared to the corresponding classroom training: 2 days of coaching 1: 1 (9.30-17.30) instead of the 3-day course.
- A videoconference follow-up /2h) after 2-3 weeks.
- Same cost as the classroom training (*).
- Delivery of the coaching at the customer’s office.
- Greater flexibility on course planning.
- Personalized training, according to the needs of the participant while respecting the structure and
- contents of the proposed program.
* An additional transfer fee is considered for the lecturer if the client’s office is located outside the Lugano area.
Booking your training is easy
- Send us your request by filling the following form
- You will receive all the information needed to complete the application procedure